Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Short Christmas Visit

Brittany had a month off over Christmas, but because she works at the hotel in Dillsboro, she was only home for 6 days. Both John and I were ordered to take the 6 days off to play with her and give her undivided attention the whole time.

2 nights before she came home she called us from work to share that the hotel lobby was overrun with little kids in pajamas and robes who were going on the Polar Express. (The train that runs between Dillsboro and Bryson City was having a Christmas theme ride.) John and I picked up the phone at the same time, which of course delighted Brittany. Two parents for the price of one!

After she had chattered on for about 20 minutes, she interrupted herself and said, “Where did Dad go?”

“I’m here.” He said.

“Then why did you just text me?” She asked.

“Because I couldn’t get a word in edgewise.”

It is a little hard to compete with 2 Geiger women in the talking department!

She arrived home in the middle of the night Christmas Eve. I knew she was here when I got up because when I went out to get the newspaper I tripped over 6 pairs of shoes. (One for each day of her stay?) It’s interesting to me that the only time John leaves his shoes at the door is when Brittany’s home. All week long I was climbing over shoes! After she went back I had to retrain him again.

One time I walked by the kitchen counter and Brittany had her cell phone and her ipod charging. Later I went by and there were two cell phones and 2 ipods charging.

I couldn’t resist. I added a 3rd set. Mine didn’t even need charging, it just looked like fun.

We had a great week and luckily she made it back to school before it snowed there. Since she was scheduled to work at 7am both of the days they had snow the manager of the hotel insisted she stay there so she wouldn’t have to drive. He even let her bring one of her sorority sisters who was back and they had a great time with the indoor pool, hot tubs and watching movies.

Unfortunately one of the mornings as she was turning things on she set off the fire alarm at 6:55 a.m. Why she had to wake us up to tell us about it after waking up an entire hotel I don’t know. But, while she had us she did share how great it was to just walk downstairs to work.

We told her we’ve been doing that for 5 years and didn’t even have to get dressed!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At December 22, 2009 at 3:30 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm enjoying reading about your daughter's adventures at college. She seems to be getting the most out of every minute! I have a Brittany too. She's a sophomore at college. These are interesting years for us, aren't they? Merry Christmas!
Katherine

 
At January 24, 2010 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

Hi Katherine!

I'm sorry I didn't see this in time to wish you a Merry Christmas! For some reason Blogger doesn't send me emails that I have comments like my other blogs do!

Thank you for reading - and enjoy your Brittany!!

Nancy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home