Thursday, December 3, 2009

Her Future is Bright!

Well, it’s over! She’s graduated!

I found the ceremony quite interesting. Lots of the kids decorated the tops of their hats. Hers said “THX RENTS”, which is the same thing her car license plate has said for years. (Short for Thanks, Parents.)

Students and parents alike were all texting each other. This sounds kind of rude, but it helped us find each other and take pictures. One of us would text her, “Wave and smile.” She would and we’d take a picture. It sure beat the old “scream at the top of your lungs until she hears you” routine. After about an hour of hundreds of names being read and listening to (thankfully) short speeches, it was over!

The 3 of us went on vacation a couple days later for a week and had time to talk about the future. Her future of course. Like, “You do know car insurance, rent and doctor bills are your responsibility from now on, right?” The one thing we still have, although she’s paying for it, is her cell phone bill because it’s less expensive for hers to be part of a family plan. Even then it’s not cheap because she has a Blackberry.

I don’t have a Blackberry.

I should insert here that I don’t want a Blackberry either. John will read this, think I want one and buy it for me for Christmas. He does stuff like that. That’s how I ended up with that weird upside down tomato garden!

Anyway. Brittany is ready to be independent. Her future is bright. She’s got a job at Bear Lake Reserve near Cashiers as their Events and Communications Manager: writing their newsletter and blog and planning all their events and weddings. For the time being she’s staying in her same apartment. In looking back at my “Brittany stories” from her Junior and Senior years, one thing that really struck me was her staying at school the summer between sophomore and junior year. From then on school became a little more home than home was.

I didn’t know how to refer to it while we were on vacation though. “When you get back… to school? (It’s not school anymore, but I wasn’t ready to call it “home” yet). I kind of settled on, “When you get back to work” or “back to your apartment.”

Because this will always be her home.



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home