Friday, March 29, 2013

Sometimes technology doesn't take the cake!

My world (like everyone else’s) depends on technology. Whether I want it to or not.

I was talking to John on the phone the other day when I heard a beep over the line. I asked him if someone was trying to call in and he said no he just got a news alert on his phone that a new pope had been elected. 15 minutes later I saw the breaking news flash on my computer home page.

John can also control the stereo in our house remotely which he finds great fun. I was coming into the house one day when suddenly I was surrounded by the music of Andrea Bocelli. John, who was at work, but apparently does sometimes listen to me and knew my schedule, decided to welcome me home with my favorite music playing.

He does that with the air conditioning and heat too. We have thermostats that can also be turned on and off and up and down from anywhere and he knows when I’m going to the gym so he’ll turn the heat down and then turn it back up before I get home. I know this because one time I skipped! And it got cold in the house!

Brittany and I have depended on technology while planning her wedding too. Besides the normal hundreds of phone calls and emails we’ve each sat at our own computers while on the phone combing through the guest list. She’s also taken pictures of decorations she wants incorporated into flower arrangements and emailed them to the florist who can do a mock up that she will send back for Brittany’s approval. The florist herself told me how easy her job is now because the brides all come in with pictures of arrangements they’ve found online.

The DJ was booked and planned all by email as he lives in South Carolina. And like many brides Brittany has a website allowing family and friends to keep up on the plans.

But there was one thing we couldn’t do online or remotely. The cake tasting. Brittany came home last weekend with a list: walk-through where we’ll be having the rehearsal dinner, meet with the event planner at the ceremony venue to go over that menu, look at my veil to see if we could have it remade for her and dozens of other loose ends. All of which we could have done with pictures and emails. But not the tasting.

We were told to allow an hour and a half for the event. The lady was as sweet as her cakes and it didn’t take us nearly that long to choose a cake that Brittany loved. It was fun to do this “live”! The woman even said not to worry about saving the top of the cake for their first anniversary. As remaking it would be her gift to the bride and groom!

Now that was icing on the cake and something technology will never be able to do!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home