Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Helicopter Parents

There’s a new title for those baby boomers that are parents of college kids – Helicopter Parents. Apparently we “hover.”

“Colleges complain that the millennials (kids born after 1982), as a group, lack problem-solving and decision making skills, have an inability to speak for themselves, little common sense, and feelings of being overly pressured to succeed. And they blame it all on “hovering” parents.” Said Sherry Anderson, editor of Kappa Delta Sorority’s Angelos magazine.

What I find so funny about this is that from the day these kids started kindergarten, parents have been encouraged (begged!) to be involved. We were guilty if we weren’t room mothers, proctors, chaperones, tutors, helped out in the school store or sold concessions at the football games.

We left work in the middle of the day to attend their talent shows, bring them a change of clothes or take them home if their temperature rose above the norm. We bought boxes of Kleenex and supplies for the classrooms and Christmas presents for the teachers.

Suddenly our kids go off to college and we no longer exist!

John and I went to Brittany’s parent’s weekend recently at Western Carolina and there weren’t very many parents there. In fact before we arrived she called to tell us we were being shared by a group of her friends.

I’m pretty sure the reason for the lack of parental presence was that the invitation came to the house addressed to Brittany Geiger. Not even “To the parents of Brittany Geiger”!

Apparently they thought helicopter parents read their kids mail.

I can understand why professors with 500 kids in their lectures wouldn’t want every student’s parent calling, emailing and texting their questions about Johnny’s test grade or Susan’s homework.

When I was in college it would have had to be pretty serious for my mom to make a long distant phone call to one of my teachers. Today there are dozens of cheap fast ways to make contact about every little thing.

But, still, it’s an odd feeling after managing your kid’s life for 18 years to be cut off. We can’t even see her grades without her password and permission. For a while I didn’t think they even had grades in college anymore! Even the financial information goes to her – which is kind of a joke, since we are writing the checks!

The only group at the school who has somehow tracked us down is the group that sells the baskets of goodies to be delivered to “your student” at exams. They write that they want 100% participation.

I always throw those letters away. If the school is sending something with my name on it, it can’t be important.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At December 3, 2009 at 6:04 AM , Blogger ChristineMM said...

Some schools and colleges are encouraging online contact between student and teacher. Thus the teacher can be at the student's beck and call to helicopter them. Instead of forcing the student to pay attention in class for the homework now they can email the teacher to double-check the assignment later on. I feel this is an infringement on the teacher's privacy (all grades or college). When does their job end?

This reminds me of the husbands I hear in the grocery store asking their wives by cell phone what to buy. Is not list making or short term memory recall done any longer?

I was in an ice cream shop 2 yrs ago & father phoned mother to ask what flavor to get the 5 year old. He never asked the child. Then the child interrupted to say no she didn't want that flavor (that the mother said). The new technology is creating an extended dependence not just for kids but also for adults.

I know college kids tracking their every move on Twitter and the parents keep in touch that way. Do they need to know the kid is taking a shower now?

I homeschool my kids so I'm around them more than other parents. Mine don't have cell phones, when I drop them off at Scouts if they have an emergency one of the adult leaders can phone me with the land line or one of the many cell phones in the room.

I don't want to hover like that. Already for me a certain amount of hands on parenting is happening due to the homeschooling and that is enough.

Back to college, the idea that a parent would phone a college professor is horrifying to me.

Lastly did you read the essay online The Kindercracy by Epstein?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000%5C000%5C015%5C161yutrk.asp

I agree that the others push this on us then complain. I've tried to blog it but have never finished the essay. My complaint is we do what the psychologists say is ideal then later on the psychologists say parents did too much. My friends are hands on at school to help as teachers ask then teachers complain of parents at school. It is maddening.

I had some relief recently by reading the book Free-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy. However it ends at about 10 yrs old and I'd like to read about letting reigns loosen in the teen years.

 
At December 3, 2009 at 1:18 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

I agree with you that: The new technology is creating an extended dependence not just for kids but also for adults.

My blog is my observation of the way things are - not so much that I think it's a good or bad thing. It's just very different from the way I grew up.

But I will say to your last sentence I don't know anyone who lets the reigns loosen in the teen years. I just read somewhere that something like 40% of "kids" between 18 and 34 still live with their parents!

It's a different world!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home