Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Motherhood is Terminal

I just saw a magnet that said “Motherhood is Terminal.”

Terminal is not a good word. You certainly don’t want to hear it connected to your health. And I’m beginning to think painting the inside of our garage has turned in to a terminal project. It started 5 weekends ago. I just wanted to get rid of some black scuff marks on the moldings and patch up a couple places on the ceiling.

After two coats of custom-colored paint on the walls and trying to patch up the ceiling unsuccessfully; John went and bought a spray gun to paint the entire ceiling and a whole bunch of plastic, tape and who knows what else in the name of “doing the job right.” The second weekend he spray painted the ceiling (and his glasses and somehow the floor in spite of all the plastic.)

The 3rd weekend he tried cleaning the floor. After awhile I went out to the garage and found it empty and still with a spotted floor. John was on his computer ordering epoxy flooring to paint the garage floor. It took a week to get here.

The weekend in between found him cleaning it with some purple liquid, acid and then baking soda to get ready to paint. The next weekend he actually painted it. But after it was done some dark spots appeared where the paint hadn’t stuck. So the company is sending him a patch kit. After grinding and patching he will need to repaint the molding, which got marked up again working on the floor.

We have so far spent over $600.00 on painting our garage – and 5 plus weekends. When I first asked him to do it I pictured 2 cans of paint and a Saturday afternoon!

This SO reminds me of motherhood. Who knew what it would involve starting out! Brittany is 22 and out of college and I STILL turn around in a store when I hear someone call “Mom!” (And she even lives in another state!)

We also remain heavily involved in her life, which like the garage is still a work in progress. But, I can see the garage floor is going to look really cool when it’s done. And I’m not giving up on it in the meantime. Or on Brittany either! Because motherhood IS terminal – and I’m here for the duration!



If you want to buy a Motherhood is Terminal magnet, click here

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home